Blackjack, also known as 21, is one of the most popular casino games, played by millions every day all over the world. The reason for its popularity in the online casino world lies in the fact that it's simple to learn and easy to play.
Many online casinos carry a broad range of interesting blackjack variations which add a unique twist to the original game, making gameplay even more interesting and challenging. Providing some of the best odds in the house, its popularity is not surprising.
The origin of blackjack is not known for sure, but one of the popular theories suggests that it was developed in Europe during the late 18th century. There is a disagreement about the actual place from where it originated. Some believe that the game certainly originated from France based on an old French game known as Vingt-et-Un. Others believe that it is derived from a Spanish game Venturina which could possibly even be older than the French version of the game. The one thing is for sure, both of these games had the same aim, reaching a score of twenty-one using a standard deck of playing cards.
There are many rule variations when it comes to online blackjack, depending on the game variation you are playing. To keep it more interesting and challenging, different online casino establishments are offering the players better and bigger payouts on particular hands. Being intensively played by a huge number of people since the 1960s, it has inspired many other casino games, including pontoon and Spanish 21.
Rules on How to Play Online Blackjack
Ground rules for playing online blackjack are simple and apply to every blackjack variation. When it comes to the blackjack variations, few additional modifications must be implemented besides basic rules of the original game.
Blackjack is a card game, which is played with one or more decks of cards. You are playing against the dealer, and you are aiming for the best possible score out of the initial cards you get. The best possible score is to get 21 which is a blackjack and an instant win for you. If you don't hit blackjack, the aim is to get a number as close as possible to 21 without going over that number.
Going 'bust' is when the player exceeds that number and is instantly out of the round. After receiving two initial cards, you have some options to play with. The dealer also receives two initial cards. In all blackjack games, one of the dealer's card will be facing up and other facing down known as 'hole card'.
Coming down to the player's decisions based on the hand which has been dealt, there are four standard betting options:
- Hit: The option when you want an additional card to be dealt to increase your overall total. You can hit as many times as you like unless the overall number of the cards exceeds or equals twenty-one.
- Stand: Used when you want to keep the hand you were dealt. It happens automatically if you score 21 or double down. After hitting the stand, you will not receive any additional card.
- Split: When you receive two cards of the same value you are allowed to split them into two separate hands. At one time you can have up to three hands except when you split two aces. So for example, the player with two eights can split them into two betting hands and receive two additional cards to the each hand.
- Double Down: If you are feeling confident in your hand and you feel it has the potential to hit blackjack you can double your bet. You can do the same thing by increasing the bet size which is already at the table, but doubling down is done when you already have cards dealt to you. After the bet is doubled, the player receives a single additional card and is forced to stand.
- Insurance: Supplemental bet called insurance is offered to the player if the dealer is showing an ace. In the case when the dealer has a blackjack, the house is paying the insurance bet 2 to 1. the blackjack, Player loses the insurance bet if the dealer does not show blackjack. If both the dealer and the player have the blackjack, the game is pushed, and the player gets the amount won from taking insurance known as 'even money'.
How to Win at Online Blackjack- Strategy and Tips
One of the most popular online casino games, blackjack, has room for various gaming strategies and tips for winning. Based on plenty of game variations, there are many strategies to choose from, and some of them work correctly for certain players while others will want something different. The choice is primarily personal, but every serious players know that the basic strategy is foundation and key to winning.
Founding blocks of basic online blackjack strategy are a simple set of rules set in a simple chart. This set of rules, which have been devised a long time ago at the very beginning of the game, dictates the player's appropriate response to any two cards dealt, against the dealer's card facing up known as ' showing card'. You should adopt this right away. It's all based on math and logic, so remember to never deviate from basic strategy. Implementation of this basic strategy is key to success.
Improve Your Odds of Winning in Online Blackjack
Some of the basic tips for winning at the online blackjack include:
- Let the dealer bust: In the case when the dealer has a card which is between 6 and 4 included, let the dealer bust, don't go chasing too high.
- Think about taking an insurance: While this option does give the casino an advantage, it can reduce your variance when running bad.
- A pair of aces and 8s. You should split them: Together the aces have the sum of 12 but in the case when you split them to two hands, you can get 21 two times. When you split two eights, you have chances of getting 18 twice, which will usually be good for a double win, while you could also go 19 with an ace, potentially beating dealer's 18.
- Don't split pairs of 6s and 10s: A pair of sixes is not a good hand, but splitting it is probably even a worse one. On the contrary, a pair of 10s has a sum of 20, which is too steady a hand to take the risk of splitting them and getting one or two bad hands.
- Hit until hard 17: In the case when the dealer holds a face-up card of 9 or better, you should hit until you have 17. You can still hit for 17 as there is no danger of busting.
- You can't go bust with the hand of total 11 or less so keep hitting when under 12.
- If you have a hand of a total of 18, you should stand in every case, no matter what.
- In the case when the total of yours cards is higher than the dealer's, you should double down to 10 or 11.
- Draw a card when your total is 12 to 16 included, and the dealer's card is greater or equal to 7.
There is no hundred percent winning strategy in playing online blackjack, but learning these basic tips and strategies will reduce your chances of losing. Playing online blackjack is all about odds and skill. By applying the right strategy, you can sway the odds in your favor.
Meet Variations of Online Blackjack
Online blackjack has more variations than any other casino game. These variations are extremely popular, providing players with more exciting and challenging alternatives to the original game. There is no limit at trying them all. Some of the most popular online blackjack variations include:
- Blackjack Surrender
- Double Exposure Blackjack
- Spanish Blackjack
- Vegas Strip Blackjack
- Blackjack Switch
- Progressive Blackjack
These are few compelling online blackjack alternatives you should try on. You shouldn't stress about strategies and variations at the very beginning. Not getting stressed about winning is a very good idea while learning the game. And for the ending, keep in mind that the primary purpose of the game is to entertain you, and you should do just that, have fun. If you do get lucky enough to win, even better.