Have you always had the desire of Learning Poker? Poker is one of the most popular card gambling games which combines a certain level of expertise and strategy. Poker is played worldwide at various brick and mortar casinos, as well as at online casinos, offering plenty of fun and exciting moments to players. Many different versions of online poker are available containing a lot of similarities in gameplay and rules, but the main difference is playing online poker against the house or playing against the other players. One thing is for sure. Both versions are offering plenty of entertainment and excitement.
When it comes to the history of the game and its introduction to the world, individual sources claim that the game was originally developed from the Persian game called As-Nas. On the other hand, a similar game to what we know today as poker, the game Poque was played in France in areas which are believed to be a place of origin of poker.
The name of the game was the most likely derived from French Poque which means 'to knock' or 'to brag', of from Irish word Poca meaning a pocket. It is commonly accepted that it shared ancestry with the French game Brelan and the Renaissance game Primero. Even though there are certain unclarities about the exact origin of the game, it is entirely possible that all of these games have influenced the game which we know today as a poker.
However, individual modern school of thoughts decisively reject these ancestry stories while they focus on unique card play in poker, which could have been developed from some games playing on general card play principles. When it comes to betting in poker, this unique feature doesn't appear in any other known older game.
Go Wild Casino
The Invention of Commercial Gambling
In the early 18th century, the game was widely spreading throughout the Mississippi River area. It was played in different kind of versions mostly with fifty-two cards, and included both stud and straight poker. Later English versions tended to reduce the deck in the games when there is a fewer number of players. After its introduction to the Mississipi River area, the game quickly spread across the numerous other north and south areas, and in 1829, it was already played in New Orleans.
The invention of commercial gambling was fertile ground for further poker development. Soon after this wild spread of the game, French deck containing fifty-two cards was widely used, and the flush was brought into the game. Many additions including straight and stud poker were added later mainly during the American Civil War.
Becoming far more popular in the 1970s, after the World Series of Poker has begun, the game was played in most of the American casinos and became one of the most exciting commonplace recreational activities. The introduction of online poker in the late 1990s and hole-card cameras contributed to the even greater popularity of the game which now has been the most enjoyable nation activity.
In online play against the house such as Caribbean Poker, the game begins when a player put particular ante which is a 'call bet'. For each player participating and the house, the dealer puts out from a hand of five cards, to start with. One of the house's cards is dealt facing up, and is visible to players participating. Each player has two options, to give up on the hand or to raise a stake by putting in twice of original 'call bet'.
The game goes to showdown. To have a qualifying hand, the dealer must have Ace-King or better. On the other hand, if he doesn't have a qualifying hand, a call bet and a player's ante are returned including the original ante. When the player's hand is equal to dealer's, it's called a 'push', and the call bet and the ante are returned to the player.
In the case when player's hand beats dealer's hand, the casino is paying even money on ante including previously arranged fixed odds on the call bet which are as following:
- For a pair or high card, odds are even
- For two pair two to one
- For three of a kind three to one
- For a straight four to one
- For a flush five to one
- For a full house seven to one
- For a four of a kind twenty to one
- For a straight flush fifty to one
- For a royal flush hundred to one
In online poker, player's hand consists of five cards, and each hand has certain strength and rank that is being compared to deale's hand to determine who wins the pot. The highest-ranking hands are winning. Determined by the pattern formed by the card consisted of a certain hand, each hand falls into the particular category.
Using a standard fifty-two cards deck, there are nine hand-ranking categories. Some of these categories may vary from one poker version to another, for example, category five of a kind is introduced when playing with one or more wild cards. In online poker these are the hand-ranking categories from highest to lowest:
- Royal Flush: All five cards are of the same suit a straight from a ten to an ace. All card suits are ranked equally.
- Straight Flush: All five cards od the same suit in any straight.
- Four of a Kind: Any four cards of the same ranking. If two players are sharing the same Four of a Kind cards, the higher fifth cards decide who wins the pot.
- Full House: Any three same ranking cards with any two same ranking cards.
- Flush: Any five cards not consecutive with the same suit. The rank of the flush is determined by the highest card of these five cards.
- Straight: Any five cards in consecutive order of different suits.
- Three of a Kind: Any three cards of the same rank.
- Two Pair: Any two same ranking cards together with another same ranking cards.
- One Pair: Any two same ranking cards.
- High Card: Any hand that is not mentioned above.
The Right Mindset
There are many different techniques and strategy moves to improve your skills and increase your winning odds. Online poker is a game which requires individual expertise and knowledge regardless of which version of online poker you are playing. It may be Caribbean Stud poker or any other online poker against the house, the rules are similar and apply to every game. These following tips may help you get to know the game better and increase your winning odds.
- Create a distraction-free zone and be in a positive environment
- Explore various software for playing online poker, and choose the most efficient one, and also consider buying one for greater advantages.
- Start by playing low-stakes online poker until you get to know the game better.
- Begin playing a single poker table.
- Never play if you are tired.
Keep in mind that online poker offers plenty of fun and excitement, and as soon as it stops being fun, you should quit. Never play online poker in a distracting environment, when you are tired or not relaxed as much as possible. Playing great online poker is requiring the right amount of skill, dedication, motivation and willingness to learn and to know more.